Drawing Lines
I chose this video in order to get some opinions from you guys, and to pretty much wet our feet in the vast ocean of art topics. To start off with, I completely agree with everything this video has presented us with. The definition of art is anything that shows an expression of creativity or imagination or both. The video then questions what is exactly is creativity? How do we determine what's creative and what's not? I decided to go and venture out for the dictionary definitions first.So what is the universal meaning of creativity and imagination?Thanks to a ten second search on my buddy dictionary.com, I soon found the answer:
Creativity
1.
the state or quality of being creative.
2.
the ability to transcend traditional ideas, rules, patterns, relationships, or the like, and to create meaningful new ideas, forms, methods, interpretations, etc.; originality, progressiveness, or imagination: the need for creativity in modern industry; creativity in the performing arts.
3.
the process by which one utilizes creative ability: Extensive reading stimulated his creativity.
Well gee don't definition number one, two, and three sound the same? This just left me wondering, if you can ever use a definition to define the definition. So I'll leave you with your own creative definition of creativity. For me, creativity doesn't have to be a new idea. If the whole world thought of one new idea at the same time, there's bound to be some clash. I do agree with the meaningful part of creativity. For me, creativity is a meaningful interpretation of something. I don't think all art is unique, and all art is always some new concoction of some genius out there. The question this video leaves us with is "where do we draw the line between what is and what isn't art? Do we even need to draw a line? " I definitely draw a line between what is art,and what isn't. I think all art should spark some sort of reaction to its viewers. Whether it be a plumber admiring the quality of a urinal, or a critic deciphering the hidden meaning behind Mona Lisa's smile. So I leave you with three questions: what is creativity? do definitions always give the answer to everything? and where do you draw your line?
6 comments:
Creativity is what you and your mind wanders off to. Whats creative to you may be garbage to someone else, but the important part is its creative to you. Definitions give you the answer to minor things like the meaning of "eat: and stuff but when it comes to abstract words like art it dosent. Another example would be peace, peace to one person might be different to another. Interesting topic :)
I know definitions are always different from person to person, but sometimes we need definitions just to give us a base of what's going on. Honestly I look at definitions like the base of a cake, everyone has to have a base. That base might be different flavors, like there are different varieties in definitions based on the individual, but they're all similar ideas when you melt things down to their roots. The frosting of the cake, I believe is the definition of something based on people's experience. For me creativity may or may not be that different based both on our historical backgrounds, and personal interest. Thank you for commenting! Also, where do you draw the line or is there no line for you?
You know how people say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder?" Well so is art. It really is perspective to me. Some people would call something that looks like utter trash to me, a work of art, as Nayeem said. But as a general definition, I'd have to agree with definition 1: of/relating to creavity. Art is born from the mind, from thoughts, images in one's head, one's experiences and dreams intermingled. Art is original and whatever it is (be it a urinal or a painting), if someone took the time to create it, then I give the respect of calling it art.
My definition of art is something that an individual creates or does, which will take effort by another individual to reproduce.
Art is not something everyone can do. A child can draw a line, but not everyone can make a masterpiece like Leonardo DaVinci. Art takes time and effort, but it doesn't necessarily have to. For example, at 4:52 there is a picture that you can tell took a lot of patience to capture.But the person might have done it by accident. Art can be created fortuitously. But I draw a line at how hard or how much time it takes to reproduce that same piece of work. A line would not take long to draw relative to building the Eiffel tower or a chair. Ultimately, if it can be reproduced by most people with very little effort than it is not art in my opinion.
btw comment back
I really agree with you Nathan. Sorry for the late comment btw, I completely skipped the recent posts section! Art does take time and skill to master, but I think the video was talking about what is art in general, rather than what is good art and what is bad art. To me, I consider some things more beautiful than others, a lot of art also has complex meanings. What exactly defines good and bad art to you? Or is a line bad art or just not art at all?
Post a Comment