Opinions Opinions

        Yesterday the entire freshman class of St.John's University had to attend a mandatory lecture in Carnesecca Arena.With hundreds of freshman flooding the area, it was a perfect moment to take a survey! I asked three questions to thirty freshman around me. Why three? Because two is just too short, and over three to any teenager in a hurry is just too long of a moment. Three simple easy questions. All my questions had a yes or no answer to them. Why? Because it's a quick and effective way to survey people in a rush. Most people don't like being asked questions from a little girl with a blue notebook in her hand while they're in a rush anyways. My questions weren't the least bit personal, and of course had to do with art, and how people view art.Finally, my questions tied in with the previous video i uploaded on this blog: What is art? Among the people I asked, only five happened to be in a art major i.e. photography etc. Most of the others, fell in between the sciences,education, and law.


My first question was: Is a line considered art?


26/30 people answered yes. 






I went to further inquire the others who thought a line wasn't art. So why do you think a line is not art? We draw lines don't we? The answers ranged from "Yeah, but anyone can draw a line" to " I don't know, I just don't think of it as art when someone asks me." 


My second question was: Is clothing art?


25/30 people answered yes.






Five people answered no.Okay I lied, the people that answered no, were really undecided. Fitting into a majority of "some clothing" or "maybe".




My third question was my favorite of all questions. This one was really fun to ask because I had gotten a lot weird expressions when I first asked it. 


My third question was: Is a urinal art?


A mere 7/30 people answered yes. 






       Some of you may remember from my video post, that the narrator asks us the same question. Is a urinal art? It was designed by somebody, and it had to take some creativity to make it functional. My favorite response when I asked this question to my surveyors was from one of the photography major students. "Is a urinal art? Umm well I guess a urinal would fall into something we call industrial design. So yeah I guess I would consider it art.I think a lot of things that we take for granted, are forms of art" So yes people a urinal is a form of industrial design. But what exactly is industrial design?"Industrial design (ID) is the professional service of creating and developing concepts and specifications that optimize the function, value and appearance of products and systems for the mutual benefit of both user and manufacturer." This definition is taken from http://www.idsa.org/content/content1/what-industrial-design. So yeah that pretty wine bottle in the store is art, so is your ipod, so are the shoes you wear on your feet. To find more about industrial design, feel free to visit my links. Until then-always think beyond the box.

2 comments:

Lamisa said...

Wow!! Samara I really enjoyed reading your interview. I liked it because it was very unique especially the urinal question which was really funny :D If I were to be asked the same question, I would most probably agree with the majority and say no. However, now I know that every type of Industrial Design is a form of art. I guess being a female, since I never used a urinal before and never will in the future; I don’t understand its significance. But for guys it’s something very important. I also thought your question on: is clothing considered art very creative, because every morning when we get dressed up for the day we don’t appreciate all the different types of garments we have and take everything for granted. After reading your interview, I definitely changed my interpretation on clothing and art. Now I feel that every outfit is a unique type of art with its own style. Lastly, I thought your first question was a good way to start the interview, because it is very basic and leads on to the future questions. Art starts with just a line and then you make it better. In fact, when my cousin first started taking art classes the first thing she learned was drawing straight lines. And what you said earlier is soo true about asking more than three questions would annoy teenagers. A job well done!! =)

Samara said...

That was definitely a big part in me asking the questions. lol I thought what would I do if I were to be asked questions by some random person. I'd definitely not want a big chunk of my time taken out. I asked the clothing question because a lot of fashion blogs are coming out, and I noticed a lot of them like to play with the lighting , and a lot of the designers like to incorporate photoshop to make the colors seem brighter etc.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

& Comment Policy

When posting on this blog, please be respectful towards other. I will not tolerate hate comments towards others or myself. Please don't use my blog as a way to advertise either, or any spam messages. If you posted a comment twice by mistake, I won't hold anything against you. Posting a repeated message a numerous of times will not get any attention, and is considered spam. I don't care about writing in "proper" English, but as long as you don't wR!t3 l!k3 di$ it's fine.

I'm thinking about having a contest, what kind of contest would you like it to be?

Total Pageviews

Followers


Recent Comments